Chiropractic is a healthcare discipline firmly grounded in science
Chiropractic is the largest natural primary health care profession in the world. In the UK, it is a government regulated profession (as with medical practitioners and dentists) therefore all UK chiropractors are registered with the General Chiropractic Council, requiring practitioners to adhere to its strict code of practice and standard of proficiency, as well as requiring its registrants to undergo continuing professional development. All Chiropractors have completed a four or five year degree programme at an accredited Chiropractic College.
Chiropractors specialise in the diagnosis, correction and prevention of disorders of joint and muscle problems, which may help relieve pain and improve an overall feeling of well-being.
What are adjustments?
Chiropractic adjustments are specific manipulations by hand, to restore movement to joints often. There are many different techniques that can be used depending on the individual. Before any procedure is undertaken you will be informed as to what to expect and when you are about to receive your first adjustment. I use a variety of techniques including Diversified adjusting, Sacro-Occipital technique, craniopathy (cranial techniques), Activator and Dry Needling.
You are unique
Before embarking on a treatment programme, your overall health status is taken into consideration (for example, your home and work environment, ergonomics, nutrition, sporting activities and stress), to determine what impact they are having on your health.
What conditions can Chiropractic help?
Although chiropractors are best known for treating back and neck pain, which they do very well, patients also consult chiropractors regarding a range of other related conditions….
- Chiropractic care may help certain types of headache, in particular tension headaches or headaches caused by certain neck myofascial dysfunction (Cervicogenic headaches).
- Migraine symptoms are often alleviated by chiropractic.
- Chiropractic has been shown to be effective for Cervicogenic dizziness (dizziness caused by myofascial disorders of the neck).
- Chiropractic has in many cases shown to be beneficial for acute, subacute and chronic neck pain. General postural pain (neck and back) and 'tension' accounts for a lot of our presenting complaints. Many patients sit at computer desks throughout the day!
- Chiropractic has been shown to be clinically effective for acute, subacute and chronic low back pain. Similarly, chiropractic care may alleviate symptoms caused by Sacro-iliac conditions, Piriformis Syndrome, groin strain and arthritic pain of the hip.
- For patients with Sciatica (that is any sort of pain caused by irritation of the sciatic nerve), we use a combination of highly specific manual techniques, followed by a course of exercises.
- Shoulder problems may be helped with chiropractic care, such as arthritic pain, rotator cuff pain, frozen shoulder (adhesive capsulitis), sports injuries and symptoms caused by overuse conditions. Chiropractors successfully treat more and more shoulder problems associated with postural and ergonomic dysfunction.
- Chiropractic may alleviate many symptoms of common elbow or wrist conditions e.g. carpal tunnel syndrome, overuse / repetitive strain injuries such as tennis elbow (Lateral epicondylitis).
- Postural problems and arthritic symptoms of the spine can be alleviated with gentle adaptive treatment.
- Hip and knee osteoarthritis has shown to be helped with chiropractic care.
- Chiropractic care can be beneficial for many common lower limb problems such as plantar fascitis and sports injuries e.g. patellar tracking disorders.
Many musculoskeletal injuries sustained through playing sport, at whatever level, can be helped with Chiropractic, either solely, or when needed in combination with a network of physiotherapists, podiatry and sports massage. Adjustments of the spine and extremities, as well as dry needling and soft tissue techniques play their part in the recovery from a sports injury.
Many top class athletes and sports teams have a Chiropractor as part of their team and Chiropractic is a recognised provider as part of the Olympic medical team.
"Lyana is an amazing chiropractor who really things outside the box. She leaves no stone unturned, which is crucial when diagnosing sports injuries - during a ten year career as a professional athlete I seldom have come across a chiropractor who's treatments are as effective as Lyana's."
- Annie Emmerson, Athlete, Commentator, Presenter and Performance Coach. www.annieemmerson.co.uk